Saturday, February 26, 2011

Helping Others

When I started this journey, I didn't really know where the road would lead me. I researched as much as I could about the various "disorders" children from the foster care system might have.  I watched videos, read books, became active in online forums, anything I could think of to prepare for my future children.  I memorized so many abbreviations... TPR, GAL, CW, BM, BD, FD, FS, DD, DH, CPS, DFS.

Of all of those things though, not much can truly prepare you for this.  Until you're living it, watching it unfold, digging your way out of the hurt your kids have, you just can not understand.

I made a video about the various exercises we do in Attachment Therapy and I was contacted by someone, another adoptive mom, yesterday after she watched my video.  When I made the videos, I thought, "If I can just help one person, then it was worth the hour of my time".   I am happy she found me, I am happy I was able to share my experience with her. 

So something new I have decided to do is a weekly "podcast" and/or recording about some of our experiences.  

Our kids are becoming more "normal" by the day... but it's been a long road to get them to this point... and that road still has many bumps and pit stops. 

So keep a watch on my blog, I am going to post my first audio thing in a couple of days. 

I am also working w/ another foster mom friend of mine to do a joint podcast.  I am on the adoption side (TPR has happened and we will finalize soon), and she is on the foster side (with visits, phone calls, case workers, GAL's, therapists, the works...).

Stay tuned! 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great video!!!!

Sarah said...

I am so glad you are posting all of this! Even though I've decided to put the process off a little longer, you keep me motivated and focused on my ultimate goal! Thank you!