Monday, July 25, 2011

Sometimes I wonder....

Do any of the children adopted by "celebrities" have the emotional and behavioral issues we have endured with our children?  I've never heard a celebrity speak out about PTSD, RAD, ODD, etc. with their adopted child.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I've just never heard it. 

I realize many adopt infants, but some adopted older children.

List of adoptive parents off of the top of my head:
Angelina and Brad
Hugh Jackman and his wife
Katherine Heigl and Josh Kelley
Sandra Bullock
Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman
Kirstie Alley
Madonna
Mary Louise Parker
Meg Ryan
Julie Andrews
Cheryl Crow
Calista Flockhart
Diane Keaton
Sharon Stone
Rosie O'Donnell
Steven Spielberg
Jamie Lee Curtis
George Lucas
Barbara Walters
Denise Richards (making news now)

I know there are many, many, more.... just don't recall them off of the top of my head.  Crazy for there to be that many, with multiple adoptions for some, and to not recall a "negative" experience they've had.  



For your fun reading pleasure:   Celebs that were adopted...

4 comments:

Mama P said...

Maybe they just never talk about it because they do not want to give cause to the media to oversensationalize the issues adopted children have? Or maybe because they have so many nannies and helpers and an abundant amount of money to buy the best therapists, "negatives" dont really mean anything to them.

Also, they work in Hollywood...half the people there probably have all of the above, especially the child stars!

Great question though...

Sarah said...

I think a lot of the people you listed are very private people, especially when it comes to their families. While you see new pictures of, say, Brad and Angelina all the time, a lot of those folks tend to keep their kiddos private (which I don't blame them). And I think you're right that a lot of them adopted infants and young toddlers.

(I've been writing for a parenting website lately, which includes some celeb stuff, so I've been all over this topic lately. lol)

Hurdles of Life said...

That is an interesting thought. But I am sure that many of the celebrities have nannies and therapists themselves (totally stereotyping here), and are taught to cope with the children, so they don't really have a need to speak out about it. Or even acknowledge it. It will be intersting to see how the children grow up, if they have issues similar to those of a child star.

Personal Finance Mama said...

Hey! Elizabeth's last ultrasound was actually really good. The measurements were under 1 cm (so under 10mm) The doctor was cautiusly optimistic and I go again on the 9th for another ultrasound. Delivery will be probably c-section with nerologists around. Currently there is no water/swelling on her brain just dialation and it's been stable for 2 months. I have 2 months left but we are thankful for the good docs we have. They have hardly any bedside manner but that's ok, they are just too smart to have a personality :)

I also, haven't heard anything negative about any of the celebs adopting. But you would think out of that list, someone's got some issues!