Monday, March 15, 2010

That Made For An Interesting Week!

To think, just this time a week ago, my poor husband found out the company he was contracting work with decided his job was done and they weren’t going to extended his contract or hire him full time. That made for a pretty crazy week! Thank goodness he’s one smart cookie, and I am sure he will have a new job pretty quickly. He’s also lucky he was able to get unemployment from his previous employer that closed its doors. Unemployment is about 1/3 of what we used to make a week, so it isn’t to be lived on forever, but it’s better than nothing. I am just thanking my lucky stars that we live well below our means! Most of our extra cash over the last few months went into painting, and fixing up the house. Those projects are now finished though, so with unemployment, my pay checks, and savings, we can squeak by for the next couple of months if need be. I am hoping that isn’t the case though.

My sister and the girls go home today. I’m sad! We had a fun week, did nothing, but it was fun! I am going to miss them a ton! Hopefully we will get to visit in the fall.

As for foster parenting, well we told our coordinators, and they both really understood about Rich loosing his job. They both wished us luck, and didn’t indicate any problems with us fostering. After all, we can afford our bills and the kids will have a stipend for their care.

How funny is it that I just said like two weeks ago that it wasn’t about the money? It still isn’t, however, without it in these situations, it would be hard to care for a child. So now my BIG goal is to get our savings built up to at least six months of living expenses. If we can get back to a similar salary to what we had before, I think I can save six months of expenses in about 6-8 months time.

So, fingers crossed that Rich is back to work in the next week or so.

No comments: