Thursday, October 14, 2010

Books on Adoption/Foster Care


Yesterday our new Adoption Case Worker came to visit and meet us all for the first time.  She is very sweet, knowledgeable, and the girls loved her.  One thing this visit brought to light, was that my girls didn’t understand what “Adoption” really means.  I know we’ve explained they’re living with us forever, but forever doesn’t probably seem like a long time to a 4 and 6 year old who are presently in their 5th home. 

So, their worker is sitting aside some books for us to read to the girls, and I went ahead and ordered some myself to keep and then eventually pass along to my other foster friends. 

I have to remind myself that even though this feels natural to me… it feels foreign to my girls.  They’ve not been in a home like ours with constant love, affection, guidance, and permanence.    I need to do a better job at explaining and reassuring them this is FOREVER… well at least until they’re adults!  :)

Here are the books I purchased:

"A Mother for Choco (Paperstar)"
Keiko Kasza; Paperback

"When I Miss You (The Way I Feel Books)"
Cornelia Maude Spelman

"Rosie's Family: An Adoption Story"
Lori Rosove

"Murphy's Three Homes: A Story for Children in Foster Care"
Jan Levinson Gilman

"Kids Need to Be Safe: A Book for Children in Foster Care (Kids Are Important)"
Julie Nelson

"Families Change: A Book for Children Experiencing Termination of Parental Rights (Kids Are Important Series)"
Julie Nelson

"The Way I Feel"
Janan Cain

"I Wished for You: an Adoption Story (Mom's Choice Award Recipient, Book of the Year Award, Creative Child Magazine)"
Marianne R Richmond

No comments: